What is alpha?
These are some of the latest alpha (untested/unstable) files that I've bothered to upload. For anything related to this stuff, please contact me via e-mail or the Xhip forum alpha thread[s]. "Unstable" in this case refers to the fact that features being worked on may change and compatibility is not guaranteed.
Alpha versions are essentially "direct from source" and represent the current work-in-progress version of the source code. Please keep in mind that these versions are only for testing. They could contain bugs or behave improperly or unexpectedly.
If you are interested in verifying a bug, asking for new features and other changes or testing the latest features the alpha version is for you. If you are interested in a free synthesizer for general use please use the latest stable release version (7) from the synth page.
29 Mar 2017
- For version 8
- Remove load/save init bank from menu and ignore any init bank file.
- Update Xhip manual adding information about all new features.
- Planned for version 9
- Map-CC 'presets' save/load in human-readable format
- User configured custom color/blend/texture modes
- Store samples in presets/banks
- Store optionally synth control section in association with presets (polyphony, unison, routing, effects, etc)
- Add "lock" to each section to select between global/preset source
- Implement some sort of skinning functionality to override embedded GUI bitmaps (background, overlays, fonts, etc)
- Preset and bank 'attachments' such as text files, images, audio (for example preset comments)
- Implement "global" or "monophonic" voice and add "monophonic mode" switch to sync modulators in polyphonic mode
- If "mono" and "tempo" modes are enabled for a modulator, attempt to read phase from song position (sync to host)
- Replace 'octave'/'range' with preset transpose/tune parameters
- Implement preset/bank alphabetic sorting
- Planned for version 10
- More effects, effects routing configuration (audio inputs?), effects chunks
- Sample editor (names, loop points, other parameters)
- Additional back-panel features (mutant's envelope asymptote, etc)
- OSX VST and AU plugins
(already exist, GUI needs to be ported)
- Linux VST or other closed-source compatible formats
(already exist as a much older version)
- Not assigned specifically
- User manual
This is partially complete and available on the synth page.
I'd appreciate any help with formatting, proofing and requests for further information or new sections that should be added.
Please keep in mind the manual only details information about the release version (7) and not the alpha.
A new version of the manual will be released along with version (8). The edits will be made to the manual during the RC testing stage after all changes are committed.
- Advanced back-panel configuration page (more wild options?)
- Additional GUIs, specifically a mini-GUI for preset browsing
- Drag & drop file support
- Extended waveshaper pre-filter (low/high?)
- User manual
- Planned for "Xhip 2" (different, new synthesizer)
- New skin-based GUI system
Most of the required implementation already exists to support the existing GUI. Putting it together into a highly adaptable system is another issue.
- New waveforms, filter modes
Already exists. Can be tested in alpha version accepting some difficulty with preset compatibility. (In other words, works now without presets.)
- Full mod-matrix
Already exists. GUI is simple. I would prefer to call this functionality "modular signal routing" instead.
- Key mapping, splits, layering
Mostly requires complex GUI functionality to support the features.
- Advanced effects system
Quite simple and could be said to already exist, requires mostly GUI functionality.
- Graph-based "drawable" oscillator waveforms, envelopes and modulators
- Sequencer, arpeggiator
Components already exist depending upon how you define these features. A working tracker/sequencer exists which includes features supporting arpeggios and sequenced parameter changes. Mostly requires a lot of GUI to support the features.
- New skin-based GUI system
Known bugs or issues
23 May 2017
If bugs are found please let me know and I'll update this list as well as my TODO.
Xhip 8 Issues:
- Some features are nonintuitive (left/mid/right click on logo) and undocumented.
- This requires an updated manual and the synthesizer now requires a short "getting started" chapter. Additional menu-trigger buttons (shift, alt, ctrl, middle, right) are not the best solution and sub-menus may improve ease of use.
- There are remaining minor imperfections in import of v7 presets.
- If this is noticed by anyone (mostly KBT-zeropoint related) please let me know. Currently it does not seem important enough to warrant further effort.
You've read the rules, right?
|xhipeffects_32bit_alpha_r882.exe||557k||24 May 2017|
I've switched to 7z format for the alpha. It can be extracted with 7-zip, a free archiver.
- Windows Vista (recommended Windows 7 SP1 or greater)
(this can be solved in the future, a compiler issue.)